Dannii Minogue: I used to feel awkward and ugly before I had a baby

Dannii Minogue has revealed that she once suffered from a severe lack of self-esteem.

The former X Factor judge, who is mum to two-year-old Ethan, used to dread having her picture taken as she always felt unattractive.

I used to be the most petrified person when I had to do photo shoots because I had no confidence,' says Dannii, 41.

I hated my legs - I would only wear jeans or long dresses - and I felt awkward and ugly.

And the only thing that changed that was when I was pregnant, I thought, "I am so beautiful, I feel so good about myself."

And I have felt confident ever since.'

Dannii, who split from Ethan's dad Kris Smith last year, was surprised by how much she loved being pregnant.

When you are in the public eye you are ultra-conscious of your shape,' Kylie's little sister tells You Magazine.

And I thought pregnancy would be awful, that I would become huge and hate my body even more.

Instead I blossomed because I felt I was doing something special - and I didn't think that I had done anything special before.'

SEE PICTURES Dannii Minogue and Kris Smith's relationship in pictures

FASHION GALLERY Dannii Minogue - a style icon

MORE PICTURES Dannii Minogue's hair styles

Anna Francis