Kylie Minogue plays a man-eater in Sky Arts film, says Mathew Horne

Kylie Minogue joined the cast of an upcoming Sky Arts film after another actress pulled out, Mathew Horne has revealed.

The Australian singer stars opposite Gavin & Stacey actor Horne in the film Hey Diddly Dee, written and directed by Mad Dogs star Marc Warren.

MTV Movie Awards 2013 red carpet: Kylie Minogue

WENN / Adriana M Barraza

Matthew Horne arrives at the BT Podshow.com launch party at Shoreditch House, London.

PA Images / Carl Court/PA Archive

Horne explained that he suggested contacting Minogue after the original actress left the project, having previously worked with her at the 2009 Brit Awards and The Kylie Show.

He told The Sun: "An actress pulled out quite close to filming. Mark texted me saying, 'Have you got any ideas?'

"I said, 'Why don't you ask Kylie?' and he laughed. But he didn't realise I have a sort of friendship with her.

"The production company were saying, 'Don't be ridiculous, she'll never do it'. But I rang her - I thought maybe she would like to pl! ay a sort of sexually voracious man-eater, which she quite truly isn't. I wish she was!

"Eventually I got a call from Marc saying, 'Kylie's doing it, and I'm in Wagamamas, crying'. I said, 'Mate, you're 46'."

Homeland's David Harewood also stars in the Sky Arts Playhouse Presents play, which airs tonight (April 18) at 9pm.

Alison Steadman, Larry Lamb and Matthew Horne in 'Gavin & Stacey'

Mathew Horne with Larry Lamb and Alison Steadman in 'Gavin & Stacey'

Mat Horne also revealed that he has been offered spots in several reality TV and panel shows in recent years.

He added: "I got offered I'm a Celebrity and all of that. I wouldn't do it in a million years. You do have to accept you may never do anything as huge as Gavin & Stacey again.

"But I don't want to be trawling around doing panel shows. I want to do interesting acting work, maybe with a view to writing and directing stuff myself."

He joked: "I like Take Me Out. If I came down in the lift, my song would be 'Leave Me Alone', by Michael Jackson."