Kylie Minogue: 'I'm not happy all the time'

Kylie Minogue has revealed that she is not always like what the public see of her.

The singer explained that 'Kylie' is merely a "persona" that she puts on while performing.

Kylie Minogue with the Outstanding Contribution Award, at the 2012 Glamour Women of The Year Awards

PA Images / Ian West/PA Wire

"No-one's shiny and happy all the time. There are other sides of me that an experience like this has allowed me to explore," she told Total Film.

"My persona is 'Kylie'. As soon as I step out of my house I have that projection of me. But that isn't necessarily who I am. What face do I show?"

Minogue was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005. She stated that she could not watch a movie or go shopping because she could not concentrate on anything but her illness.

"Lots of friends sent me DVDs and I just said, 'I can't concentrate for a whole film'. A trip to the shop for a drink was a massive excursion."

Kylie Minogue dones the iconic pink dress as she performs in Australia.

News Ltd/Newspix / Rex Features

She added that her desire to return to performing live on stage helped her battle the illness.

"Possibly because I was diagnosed mid-tour, that was my goal, to get back and perform. I just realised that no, this is what I do, and I want to do it better than before."

Kylie Minogue recently said that she is "more inspired than ever" with her music c! areer.

She is tipped to reunite with Jason Donovan for a performance at London's O2 Arena in December.

Kylie Minogue - Career in Pictures: