Kylie Minogue's early struggles

Kylie Minogue admits her early pop career was 'pretty scary' because there was so much she didn't know.

The 44-year-old star - who is celebrating her 25th year in showbiz - struggled to get to grips with even the basic aspects of her performances when she first moved from acting to singing.

She told Britain's ELLE magazine: 'It was actually a pretty scary time. No one can tell you what's going to happen, you don't have a mentor and all you do is work and travel, work and travel. Even just how to stand on a stage to sing was something you have to work out as you go along.'

The 'Can't Get You Out of My Head' hitmaker also struggled with negative comments about her in the press, which resulted in her having a 'kind of breakdown'.

She added: 'I had hits but I had a lot of critics. A lot of it was really vicious and I was just a kid and I did get completely trampled by it.

'I had a kind of breakdown where I just wanted to go away and hide. My family knew what I was going through and the thing was that I agreed with a lot of the criticism about me, I just didn't know quite how to deal with it.

'In the end I dealt with it by carrying on, getting through the next day, the next project, hoping things got clearer, hoping that I'd get better and better.