I'm no Kylie says X Factor winner

X Factor winner Samantha Jade is flattered and a little bemused with comparisons to pop princess Kylie Minogue.

With her petite size, style and mannerisms, Jade is being spoken of as the new Kylie on the Australian music scene after winning the reality series on Tuesday night.

Jade says she has idolised Kylie all her life but never thought anyone would speak of her in the same breath as the international star.

"I am beyond shock that I am even... I just don't see the Kylie thing; people do though," Jade told AAP.

"I love Kylie and I'm honoured to be spoken of in the same sentence."

Jade on Tuesday night became the first female winner of the Seven Network talent search when she tipped out country kid Jason Owen.

Boy band The Collective were third.

For winning the series, Jade scored a recording contract with Sony Music and her debut single, What You've Done To Me, was released immediately after she was announced winner.

Jade's deal with Sony Music is her second recording deal.

As an 18-year-old she signed a three year contract with a US record company which ended in 2008 and left a sour taste in her mouth.

By 2010, Jade had given up on a music career and went to work in her father's mining warehouse in Western Australia counting stock and packing boxes.

"It was good because I got to get out of music and get my head wrapped around everything and it's why I was really hungry again to sing," Jade said.

"I was really hurt and burnt and by working there I had gotten over it and I was ready to fight again."

Jade's triumph on X Factor was not without its dangers.

Three times during the series she was put up for elimination - more than any other contestant - and only once did the judges bother to save her.

On the other two occasions it was the strength of viewers' votes which stopped her being sent home.

The pain of being relegated to the bottom two and forced into a sudden death sing-off showed both on Jade's ! face and in her body language.

It resulted in Mel B delivering a stinging comment that Jade still remembers.

"The worst thing was probably when Mel B said I looked pissed off," Jade said.

"I was definitely teary when I was in the bottom two because it is the most horrible place to be.

"I had built a up a really big barrier because I had been hurt a lot in this industry and you lose a lot of your confidence."

She said being teamed with friend and mentor Guy Sebastian helped her come out of her shell and regain her confidence during the series.

As part of the recording deal, Jade will also be managed by Sony Music.

She is hoping this time around she has a better luck with the recording contract than she did with the US deal which resulted in one single being released in three years.

"I have definitely been smarter this time around," she said.