Rupert Penry-Jones 'disliked ex-girlfriend Kylie Minogue's music'

Kylie Minogue's former boyfriend has admitted that his dislike of the Australian popstar's music caused tension in their short relationship.

Whitechapel actor Rupert Penry-Jones met the 'Spinning Around' singer in 1999, and they dated for nine months.

Clive Reader in Silk
Kylie Minogue

"I wasn't really into her music," he told the Daily Mail. "And, once, I stupidly said to her when she played me 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head', 'Yeah, it's good. But I'd rather hear you do some sort of rock, acoustic thing'.

"I was in the studio when she was recording it. And she got very annoyed with me. And then - obviously - it turned into this huge hit."

However, Penry-Jones, who has been married to Ballykissangel actress Dervla Kirwan since 2007, said that when he was dating Minogue he felt like "one of the luckiest men in the world", adding: "...To be honest I couldn't believe it would last longer than a week. She's an extremely free spirit."

> Rupert Penry-Jones 'tired of posh roles'
> 'Whitechapel' Rupert Penry-Jones, Phil Davis, Steve Pemberton Q&A