Skip to main content

Kylie amazed by 25-year career

Kylie Minogue thought she'd be a one-hit wonder.

The 43-year-old singer who is set to release a new greatest hits compilation, The Best of Kylie Minogue is amazed she has sold over 60 million records in a 25-year pop career because her first single, Locomotion, was meant to be a one-off following her appearance on Australian TV soap Neighbours.

She said: "I never thought I would have a 25-year singing career.

"When I first started singing I was acting and thought that singing would just be another string to my bow. Cut to actually releasing the single I think it was seen as a kind of one-off, a novelty. I'm sure that in most people's minds and I think even in my own I was meant to be a one-hit wonder."

The All the Lovers hitmaker admitted she is keen to do more acting following a recent appearance in new movie Holy Motors alongside Eva Mendes.

She told BBC Radio 2: "Who knows what the next 25 years hold? I would love to get into more acting, for sure.

"I'm really excited that a film I did last year, that I had a small role in, is being premiered in Cannes this year. I'm super-excited about that."

And Minogue reassured fans she has no plans to retire any time soon.

She added: "I'll probably just carry on for as long as I can, as long as people are happy to have me around."