Kylie Minogue: 'I banned my entourage for Cannes film Holy Motors'

Kylie Minogue has revealed that she ditched her entourage when it came to working on her new film Holy Motors.

Speaking at the Cannes Film Festival, Minogue admitted that she was keen to go "back to basics" for her first big-screen performance since 2001's Moulin Rouge!.

Kylie Minogue, Holly Motors

"It felt good to be back on set. I took it very seriously," she said "Basically I banned my entire entourage from coming with me. I stripped myself of being Kylie and wanted to go back to being as basic as possible. To pretty much be a blank canvas."

She continued: "For me it was very exciting, stepping into this unknown situation. There was an immense amount of trust - I don't know if you can invent trust or convince yourself that it's there, but it was just a feeling.

"That didn't mean that I was slightly terrified, but it did mean that I was more than happy to and excited to venture into this strange experience."

Kylie Minogue poses during a photo call for Holy Motors at the 65th international Cannes Film Festival

PA Images / Joel Ryan/AP

Holy Motors, from French director Leos Carax, follows 24 hours in the life of 'DL', a being who travels between the lives of a murderer, a family man, a beggar and more.

Minogue began her showbiz career acting in Neighbours before moving into music. Her other screen credits include Street Fighter and the Doctor Who episode 'Voyage of the Damned'.

Photo gallery - Cannes Film Festival in pictures:

65th International Cannes Film Festival 2012 rolling gallery

Kirsten Dunst, right, and Kristen Stewart pose during a photo call for On the Road at the 65th international Cannes Film Festival

Image 1 of 53

Copyright: PA Images Joel Ryan/AP