Kylie Minogue opens up about her cancer battle as she promotes her new movie in Cannes

By Peter Allen

PUBLISHED: 05:31 EST, 23 May 2012 | UPDATED: 07:58 EST, 23 May 2012

Kylie Minogue arrived at the Cannes Film Festival as a movie star today after saying that her successful battle against cancer made her feel like a cat with several lives.

The 43-year-old who shot to fame in the Australian soap opera Neighbours before succeeding in the music industry was promoting her new movie, Holy Motors.

But it was her battle with the the disease which dominated a publicity interview with Paris Match magazine, with Kylie saying: 'Over time, people have a tendency to forget about it.

Cool in khaki: Kylie Minogue looked incredible in a green and black dress as she promoted her new movie Holy Motors at the Cannes Film Festival today

Cool in khaki: Kylie Minogue looked incredible in a green and black dress as she promoted her new movie Holy Motors at the Cannes Film Festival today

Slender: The form-fitting dress clung to Kylie's petite figure and highlighted her feminine curves

Slender: The form-fitting dress clung to Kylie's petite figure and highlighted her feminine curves

Slender: The form-fitting dress clung to Kylie's petite figure and highlighted her feminine curves

'Not me. A day does not go by without me thinking about it. Just looking in a mirror is enough the scars are moral and physical.

'T here are days when I feel an incredible anger, others when I say that I was very lucky in my misfortune.

'I always try to present an optimistic picture. At first, I look very open, but basically, I'm pretty reserved. I knew I was strong, I was fortunate to be surrounded by people who really loved me.

Centre of attention: Photographers clamoured to get the best picture of Kylie as she posed at the photocall

Centre of attention: Photographers clamoured to get the best picture of Kylie as she posed at the photocall

Radiant: Kylie left her make-up minimal and simple as she smiled for the waiting photographers

Radiant: Kylie left her make-up minimal and simple as she smiled for the waiting photographers

Radiant: Kylie left her make-up minimal and simple as she smiled for the waiting photographers

Co-stars: Kylie with (left to right) French actress Edith Scob, French actor Denis Lavant, French director Leos Carax, French actress Jeanne Disson and French actress Elise Lhomeau

Co-stars: Kylie with (left to right) French actress Edith Scob, French actor Denis Lavant, French director Leos Carax, French actress Jeanne Disson and French actress Elise Lhomeau

'I feel like a cat, having had several lives. In my career as in my personal life, I made enough bad decisions to land me in deep water. Finally, I havent got out too badly.'

Riviera chic: Kylie looked stunning in a long white dress and black jacket as she posted a picture of herself in Cannes

Following her diagnosis with breast cancer in 2005, Kylie spent much of her time being treated in Paris, where she lived with her then boyfriend, the actor Olivier Martinez.

Now she is going out with the Spanish model Andres Velencoso but expressed no intention of marrying him.

Instead Kylie said: 'Love is hard work. I have never believed that marriage was the be all and end all.

'There are people who think that a beautiful story will last a lifetime.

'I tell myself it will last as long as it lasts, I'm less disappointed.

'Im wiser, more tolerant, less demanding. I am very happy today because Andres totally respects who I am.

'If Im looking resplendent or I wake up haggard, it is the same.

'And when I go into a spin for no reason, when I feel totally clueless, I ask myself a thousand questions, who I am, what I want, where Im going ... He is there.

'I am cured and very much in love - it helps! Andres is handsome, friendly and also very easy going.'

Kylie will today discuss her role in Holy Motors, a sci-fi fantasy about a man played by Denis Lavant who travels between multiple parallel lives.

Holy Motors is one of the 22 films in competition for the hugely prestigious Palme d'Or (Goldern Palm) prize at the Cannes Film Festival.

Travelling in style: Kylie was seen landing in Nice airport yesterday after flying in by private jet

Travelling in style: Kylie was seen landing in Nice airport yesterday afte! r flying in by private jet

Touching down! Kylie is no stranger to travelling in style

Touching down! Kylie is no stranger to travelling in style, and her trip to Cannes is no exception

REVIEW: HOLY MOTORS by BAZ BAMIGBOYE

Directed by Leos Carax. Starring: Denis Lavant , Eva Mendes, Kylie Minogue & Edith Scob.

Screen star: Kylie in the hotly-anticipated new movie

Screen star: Kylie in the hotly-anticipated new movie

Mercifully for Kylie Minogue, she shows up briefly in Denis Lavant's god-awful movie Holy Motors which has its world premiere red-carpet screening tonight as an official entrant in the Cannes Film Festival.

Brave Kylie will walk the fabled Cannes red-carpet at the Grand Theatre Lumiere Wednesday night but I notice Eva Mendes, another of the film's stars, is giving the movie a wide berth and is staying well away.

I suspect Mendes's snub might have something to do with a scene where a man with an inflated sexual organ dances around her and licks her inappropriately. Kylie's scenes are sex-free.

Kylie, 44 next week, is featured in the film for fifteen minutes, maybe less, and I kept thinking of her early hit I Should Be So Lucky when it became clear that her dual character Eva/Jean wasn't going to be hanging around for long.

I would love to be able to tell you what purpose she has in the film. The little she has to do she does well. Our Kylie has always known how to make the camera work for her but she has no control over the construction of the scenes Carax has written for her.

I can tell you she mutters something about having 'the strangest feeling' and I was with her on that.In h! er scene s she wears a mackintosh and sings Who Were We and Couldn't Get You Out of My Head.

Eva/Jean has obviously had some past tumultuous relationship with one of the eleven freaky characters played by Denis Levant who through the film morphs into a variety of weirdos each time he exits a white stretch limousine.

One minute he's a crippled beggar woman, the next an assassin, and later he's in-twined in a cyber coitus pas de deux.

The strangest encounter involving Levant though has him entering the Paris sewer system only to emerge in the Paris cemetery where he wonders about munching blooms left on graves. He alights upon Eva Mendes who's playing a cover girl modeled on Kate Moss.

Mendes wears a golden gown and Levant lusts after her by licking her blood-splattered under-arm. Then he strips naked and rests his body, he is by now displaying a tumescent member, on her lap.

His erect private part flaps about a bit but this is Cannes so no one was shocked. I guess this just isn't a movie for your Aunt Doris.

Thinking it all through, I can see that Carax is trying to make a comment on evolution. I mean, how else to explain one of Levant's characters shacked up with two chimpanzees?

Oh, God, let's pray Holy Motors doesn't win any awards on Sunday night.