Kylie Minogue: 'Musical will take a long time'

Kylie Minogue has warned fans they face an extended wait before she debuts her stage musical as she's determined to take her time and "get it right".

The Australian pop star had hoped to unveil a production inspired by her greatest hits this year, but she was sidetracked with celebrations to mark her 25 years in music.

Minogue is adamant the project is still in the works, but she admits it will take her some time to bring her ideas to life.

She says, "It actually took a bit of a back seat because so many other things are happening. But it's lurking. I think it's going to happen one way or another. It won't happen until I have got another album done. I was warned it would take a long time and now I'm understanding that.

"You can't present a musical which is going to cost however much to do, and then go, 'Actually, forget that one, here's a new improved one.' You've got to take your time and get it right."

The Spinning Around hitmaker has drafted an outline for the show with her creative director William Baker, but has no plans to appear in the spectacular.

She adds, "We've got the material... My friend William and I have done the synopsis. The aim would be to do it in the West End. I love to see great musicals, so I wouldn't say it's a pipe dream, but it is a dream and it's going to take a while."